Quick Links
Skip to main contentSkip to navigation
Main Navigation


Ajax Loading Image


How can I obtain a substitute teaching license?

Information provided by the Regional Office of Education


A substitute teaching license, valid for substitute teaching in grades PK-12 in any county in Illinois, may be issued to individuals who hold a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution of higher education.

To apply, individuals may submit an application online at www.isbe.net in the Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS). A $50 fee will be assessed electronically when the application is submitted. After submitting their application, individuals should have an official transcript from their college showing an awarded bachelor’s degree sent to ISBE or to the Regional Office of Education, 105 North E St., Suite 1, Monmouth, IL  61462 (call 309/734-6822 if you have questions). Your college can also have the transcripts sent electronically to ntedford@roe33.net.  

To be valid for teaching, a substitute license must be registered in ELIS after it is issued.

The license is valid for five years and may be renewed.

Please note:  Individuals who hold a lapsed professional educator license (PEL) and owed professional development are not eligible to obtain a substitute teaching license.

If your PEL is lapsed and you do not owe professional development, you may obtain a substitute teaching license. Individuals who have had their PEL or ELS suspended or revoked and have not met the renewal requirements are not eligible to obtain a new substitute teaching license.

Additional Information:  To be a substitute teacher in the Regional Office of Education #33, Henderson-Knox-Mercer-Warren Counties, you must be fingerprinted for the ROE #33 region and have a recent physical (within 3 months of application).  Please call 309/734-6822 or 309/345-3828 for further details.


A law was recently enacted that will reimburse recent and new applicants for a Substitute (Teacher) License for the cost of the application and registration fees. The requirements for the reimbursement of application and registration fees:

  • The license was issued after July 1, 2017.

  • The substitute teacher must have worked 10 full school days within one year of the issuance date of the license.

  • The substitute teacher must apply for the reimbursement within 18 months of the issuance date of the license.

If you meet these requirements, please complete ISBE form 73-02: Substitute License Fee Refund Request Form found at ISBE.net Document. This form must be returned to ISBE by the school or district official. Forms submitted by the applicant will not be honored. ‚Äč 


On-line Application for a Substitute Educator License

If you are a first time user of the Educator Licensing Information System:

  1. On the internet, go to http://www.isbe.net

  1. Click on the Former ECS Users Click Here for Access to the ELIS System link and create a log in and password


After you have set up an account (entering your name, address, etc.), you can now apply for your sub license.

  1. Follow the screen prompts in the Application Wizard to complete the process.  Make sure all information is accurate on each screen before you click ‘Next’

  1. You will be prompted to answer a series of legal questions.

  1. You will need a credit or debit card to pay the License Application fee of $50 + processing.  

  1. You will have an opportunity to review and edit information before you submit the application

  1. Your license will go into Pending Review status

  1. Official transcripts showing that you have received a BA will have to be sent to the Illinois State Board of Education or you can have your school email the ROE a set of your official scores to ntedford@roe33.net and we will upload them into your account.  You can also have your official transcripts mailed to our office for uploading as well:  Regional Office of Education Attn: Kae Tedford,  105 North E St., Suite 1, Monmouth, IL 61462

  1. When ISBE issues your license you will be sent an email notification. Log into your ELIS account to register the new license in Henderson/Knox/Mercer/Warren Counties ROE #33.


License Registration:

  1. On your ELIS Home Page click on Registration in the Action Center Box.

  1. Follow the screen prompts in the Registration Wizard to complete the process

  1. You will need a credit or debit card to pay the License Registration fee of $50 + processing fees.

  1. Select Henderson/Knox/Mercer/Warren from the dropdown box on the registration question.



View and Print your Credentials:

  1. On your ELIS Home Page click on View Your Credentials

  1. Print the Credentials page

  1. ISBE will not send you a printed license.